Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Steak with Red Wine Reduction


Oh what a week it has been already...I first want to say Thank You to all Veterans and their families who have or are serving for our military.  It is because of you I am free today...My husband is was a marine and I married into a family of military and my niece and her husband are in the Navy.  I am blessed and honored to know so many military people...God Bless You All!!!

Yesterday was cross fit...let me tell you I am feeling it today...my abs hurt and boy do I love it.  My arms and legs are screaming and I dead-lifted 55 lbs, it may not be a lot but it's 20 lbs heavier than last week and it's progress...I am loving it!  Oh and if you need a good abs move, grab someone's ankles and do let lifts while they push your feet down in all directions...YIKES!

Tonight's dinner special was delish...I have been craving steak so that's what we had.  I made a nice sirloin with a rich red wine reduction (amazing what a little butter can do for a sauce), roasted potatoes (I didn't eat those) and roasted asparagus...MMMMM who needs to go out and pay a fortune when you can have this super simple meals.

Steak with Red Wine Reduction Sauce
Serves 4

21 DF Containers: 1R, 1tsp, 1/4Y

Ingredients


1 tablespoon olive oil (3tsp)

2 (8-ounce) top sirloin steaks, trimmed (4R)

3/8 teaspoon sea salt, divided 

3/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided 

3 tablespoons minced shallots

2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme

1/2 cup full-bodied red wine (I used a red blend) (1Y treat)

1/2 cup unsalted beef stock 

1 1/2 teaspoons organic butter (1 1/2tsp)
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard

Directions

1. Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Sprinkle steaks evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add steaks to pan; cook 4 minutes on each side or until desired temp (we like a nice medium rare and remember it will still cook while it rests). Remove steaks from pan. Let stand 5 minutes.
2. Reduce heat to medium-high. Add shallots and thyme to pan; sauté 1 minute or until lightly browned. Add wine; cook 2 1/2 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Add stock; cook 3 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half and mixture is slightly thickened. Remove pan from heat. Add remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, butter, and mustard; stir with a whisk.

3. Cut steak across the grain into thin slices; serve with sauce. 


I served this with potatoes that I seasoned with a little olive oil and garlic herb and roasted and also some roasted asparagus.  This came out perfect and tasted so yummy.  Make sure to trim your steaks of all visible fat to keep it healthy.  My family ate this up as usual when I serve steak and potatoes (we will do it a few times a month but that's it usually)...never any leftovers at this house.

So until tomorrow...make sure you thank a vet if you haven't today and if you can thank one every day...they deserve more than 1 day a  year!





No comments:

Post a Comment